Re: [TramsDownUnder] Fire at the Wattle Park Chalet

On 29/09/2026 22:06, 'Malcolm Miles' via TramsDownUnder wrote:

Sad to see in this month’s The Bellcord newsletter that …

 

“The Wattle Park Chalet, built by the M&MTB in 1928, was severely damaged

by a fire on the morning of 12 September 2026. The east wing, housing the

kitchen, was destroyed, while the adjoining section of the main hall

sustained extensive damage”.

 

I often visited Wattle Park when my children were young, but I never ventured inside the chalet.

I wonder why it was called a “Chalet” as according to Wikipedia it was designed in the rustic Tudor style.


I think that 'chalet' was a popular term for a nice place away from it all im years gone by - as in "The Chalet" at Mt Buffalo owned by the Victorian Railways.

I have attended two significant events at the Wattle Park Chelet, my 21st birthday celebration in 1968 - immediately followed by a flight to Brisbane to ride the trams before they closed and an address by the Chjairman of the MMTB, Robert Risson, in the following year.  

The Chalet and Park were built using materials available from the demolition of various cable tram assets and some of the fences - made from old cables are still there.

Mal Rowe - attaching evidence

Uploaded Image Uploaded Image

Comments